Sunday, September 11, 2016

He's a poi boy!

Big news!  This [not so] little boy tried "solid" food for the first time tonight!  We went Hawaiian style and started with poi.  Poi is mashed taro root and is a common first food on the islands.  We mixed the poi with a little breastmilk and away we went!


I don't actually like poi very much.  This was confirmed tonight when I tried it again.


Danny, on the other hand, thought it was great!  He didn't seem to think that eating solid food was a big deal and acted like we should have been doing this for a long time.  He seems to be saying "What's taking ya so long!?  Refill that spoon!"


Though he didn't make any faces that seemed to say "gross" or "yuck," Tom managed to capture a pretty classic picture.


At points it was unclear if he was most interested in the spoon or the food (the answer was spoon), but he actually ate pretty much everything we gave him.  Other than what ended up on his face, hands, bib, and tray of course. 


But truthfully, he didn't spit anything out.  So poi is a win!  He also had a clear do-it-myself attitude and wanted to hold the spoon at all times.  Likely cause that way he could control chewing on it.


We'll try sweet taters later this week!


And lastly, a video because, of course, as parents of this generation, we must fully document everything on photo and video.




And now it is most definitely bath time!





5 comments:

  1. So next time you and Tom are eating steak you can tell Danny, "One man's meat is another man's poi, son."

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Indeed! If only we at steak that often. Though when he comes to breakfast with me at school and I get bacon (which I don't do regularly) he seems very interested in the bacon. Sorry kid...not quite yet.

      Delete
    2. Lindsey, I would question the regularity with which your daughter gets bacon for breakfast. She's been telling me that fib for a while now.

      Delete
  2. Yay! What a big boy! Yes, that spoon is sometimes their favorite thing. I used to give mine one to hold, while I fed them with another :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes! Maggie and a friend from work gave me the same advice. Why didn't I think of that? We tried it last night and it somewhat worked...

      Tonight we try sweet potatoes!

      Delete